The Storage Place would like you to consider the following tips and tricks when packing for your self-storage unit:
Video: Self-Storage Tips and Tricks
- Use sturdy boxes, not garbage bags, to store your possessions. Plastic bags get smashed, torn, and full of mildew. Add packing material for professional results.
- Pack each box so that it weighs a bit less than you can comfortably carry. Keep all boxes stable for stacking by keeping them "square" with no bulging edges.
- For easy identification later, label each box with its location and contents i.e. Bedroom Quilts, Kitchen Utensils, Office Equipment, Living Room Entertainment.
- Clearly mark boxes containing breakable items, such as dishes, stemware, lamps, and picture frames, as "Fragile, This Side Up" and add an arrow pointing up.
- Buy good quality tape that will stay stuck and not peel off over time. The Storage Place Fountain Valley location carries quality packing supplies for sale.
- Use the non-sticky side of the tape to hold bed frames together. Place all screws and other hardware in plastic bags and tape them to the backside of the bed frame.
- Place heavy possessions, such as books and dishes, in smaller boxes to make them easier to carry. Lighter possessions, such as bedspreads, linens, and your favorite blanket, can be packed into larger boxes.
- Organize your The Storage Place unit with more frequently used items up front and a clear path down the center, so you can reach the boxes in the back easily — you know, for that doohickey that goes with the thingamajig.
- Wash garden tools and drain the fuel tanks of lawn mowers, weed wackers, and leaf blowers before storing. Removing dirt and toxic fumes will keep your furniture and other possession from soaking up those nasty smells.